ESTOL-Joint Sealing Compound E
ESTOL-Joint Sealing Compound E is a sealing compound as per TL/TP Fug- StB 01 and in accordance with Swiss standard SNV 671 625a. ESTOL-Joint Sealing Compound E for sealing concrete and asphalt joints.
In road construction to seal edge joints and construction joints: The pre-treated joint should only be sealed during dry weather. The following points should be observed while sealing:
1. The joint being sealed must have a surface temperature of at least + 5 °C.
2. The joint must be dust-free and dry.
3. The applied primer must be dry (finger test).
4. The sealing work must be performed using suitable sealing devices. In practice, narrow, square pouring cans with large handles and an elongated spout have proven to work well.
5. The sealing mixture must have the indicated temperature while pouring. If the processing temperature is strongly fallen short of, the casting properties suffer and the mixture does not fully fill the joints that are to be sealed. There is a risk of cavities forming that result in the seal collapsing under rolling traffic (penetration of water into the substructure).
6. The cold leftovers in the can should not be used (cavity formation in the seal).
7. Because a volume reduction occurs after all sealing compounds have cooled, the sealing should be performed in two application steps. Directly after the first seal has cooled, continue by laying the second seal, whereby the work sequence should be set-up so that the second seal is applied while the surface of the first seal is still shiny and clean. During the second seal also ensure not to fall below the processing temperature so that homogeneous fusion is guaranteed.
8. On concrete traffic surfaces, pour the hot workable joint mixture in such a way that a tub-shaped recess of at least 1mm or maximum 6 mm builds below the road surface. Avoid over-sealing un-chamfered joints (as per ZTV FugStB 01 Point 2.5.3 “Applying hot workable joint mixtures”).
Blow the joint clean with compressed air or with a brushing machine, whereby a spatial separation between the cleaning work and the sealing work must be ensured. To achieve the required adhesive strength of the sealing mixture to the walls, the joint being sealed must be treated up to the upper edge with the appropriate primer.
It is recommended to also coat a strip 1 cm wide on both sides on the roadway (adhesion up to the edge). The purpose of the primer is to bind any dust on all joints and to create an adhesive layer that connects deeply with the sealing mixture being applied thereby guaranteeing an anchor to the subsurface. This is also recommended for re-cut joints and cracks. Pre-treatment of the re-cut joints and cracks with a hot air lance makes this no longer necessary.
ESTOL Joint Sealing Compound is to be melted slowly in a melting pot equipped with an agitator, thermostatically controlled burner and thermometer, until the processing temperature is reached. Boilers that do not have a mechanical stirrer are not suitable. There is a risk of over-heating the mixture when using simple bitumen melting pots of this kind with the result being that the stabilisation and tempering of the polymers and filler material in the products sink or are destroyed.
The sealing mixture should only be melted in a boiler that has been cleaned first, in other words, that is free from burnt-on residues.